Thursday, December 24, 2009

FM 2010 Backroom Advice Guides

FM 10 Backroom Advice is a newly added feature for this year Football Manager.

It's an exciting addition that makes the game better but how many players actually use it...the right way?

Using it the right way as in not believing everything the backroom advice given to you.Human make mistakes.So do your assistant and coaches.I will pull out an example to make it simpler and easier to understand.

I will take my next match as an example.

So,I'm playing West Ham United away next match.As usual, the scout will send in a report beforehand, highlighting what formation West Ham usually play with, who's the match winner and so on.


My scout, Hamilton, reported to me that West Ham normally play with 4-1-2-1-2 and their attacking midfielder Landon Donovan has the ability to be a match winner.So, I went on to the backroom advice after this scout report.


Gerhard Baier then highlighted 8 issues as his advice of which "coincidentally" , all agreed by my assistant manager, Richard Hill.


See the second opinion part? Yes, that's an important part.If someone disagree with this advice, then you have to take a close look into the advice and analyze who's the right one.Failing to do so might actually lose you the game.

An important reminder to all.Some people tend to treat the goal analysis like some spam advice given by the coaches in every single game but it's actually an important element.


For example, my coach reported to me that West Ham United scored most of their goals between 61st to 75th minutes of the game.If my team are only hanging on a goal lead,I will then put on defensive tactic in that particular 14minutes .The opponents are usually dangerous during that period of time.

Anyway, back to the last part of the back room advice given.The assistant manager himself has suggested that Jack Collison as the danger man of the team.



And another coach, Sergio Corino disagrees with him.


Remember what the scout report earlier? It mentions that Landon Donovan is someone who might caused us problems.So, it's 2 vs 1 now. David Hamilton and Sergio Corino vs Richard Hill.Who should you and I believe?

This is an interesting feature added, isn't it?There are disagreements between coaches and assistants which make the game even more interesting than the previous few versions.

Do remember one thing, singling out different danger man before the man might have different impact on your match later on.

What I do now is to see which one of them perform better in recent games.

Jack Collison assisted 3 goals in 10 league appearances so far while Landon Donovan

only started 5 league games(another 5 being subs) but already scored 6 goals and assisted another goal.

Who is more dangerous?I believe it's Donovan.

Some people wouldn't even bother to check out before following their assistant manager's advice and in the end, they ended up losing their match.For this new Backroom advice feature, you gotta be smart.Sometimes, your assistant manager can make mistakes too.He too, can provide some rubbish, pointless advice.

On another note, I'm not sure if anyone realize this but I would like to point it out.It seems like different advice are given based on different staff attributes.


The Danger man advice is actually related Man Management of your staff while the goal analysis is part of tactical area.

So, next time when you might want to consider the attributes and compare it with the scout reports.Do a brief research on the form and stats of the players mentioned before following it blindly.

Hope this little guide of mine will help you guys out.

8 comments:

TheZiggy said...

Interesting post, and highlights how the backroom staff can get things wrong at times.

I've seen the scout suggest playing deep or using fast defenders, but the backroom staff suggest playing high up the field. As my central defenders are not the fastest, I generally go with with playing deep. I've made the mistake of starting with a high backline in match where this advice was given, and gone 2 goals down very quickly. I do seem to remember after setting it deep again we went on the win the game.

During the normal backroom meetings I've seen some poor advice, where they recommend praising a players good form. For some players, unless they have been playing really well, will react badly, as they think they don't have to do much to earn praise. You note which players are like that, as they are the players that if they have a poor run of form may react well to being told they're not playing well.

Laxeyman said...

Very interesting. Before this I never really realised how many errors there are in the backroom staff's work. I now know how careful you have to be before accepting their advice, which is often wrong. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

FM Freak Kid said...

@The Ziggy:
If you ask me, I'd tell you that generally the advice given by your assistant is based on how good a staff he is to your club.What staff attributes he has?Those with lower staff attributes will be prone to mistakes while those with higher staff attributes will be better and more accurate in giving advice.So, those who manage QPR like us, generally get a worse assistant manager than the rest. I can't imagine a premier league club like mine, only afford to pay 1.5k wages to assistant when other clubs actually pay more than 1.5k for their youth coaches and their assistant actually take around 8-10k wages.I have been switching assistant from day 1 I play the game simply because other clubs keep raiding my assistant manager because they are offered more money than I can afford to pay them. Sigh

FM Freak Kid said...

@Laxeyman:
Hi there Laxeyman.Thanks for the comment and dropping by.I'm glad that you find the post useful.Thanks and Merry Christmas to you too. =)

Q.P.R beast said...

if you dont mind me asking how do you get your screenshots like that, on my ipswich story its a pain in the arse having to keep maximizing the image

FM Freak Kid said...

Hi there Q.P.R beast, all I did was print screen it and resize it later on.That's why it looks larger ;)

Anonymous said...

I think your staff just suck. A quick staff search and clearing out the driftwood for my team (Hull) and they haven't made a mistake all season :D

FM Freak Kid said...

I had been losing my good staff each and every season.Big clubs just like to steal them away from me and the wage caps of the club do not allow me to retain them because even my asst manager gets only as much as 2k salary.Can't even go beyond that.Pitiful wage caps.

Post a Comment

Thank You!